Tonkatsu Curry (Anime favorite food) : I really hate deep frying

Deep frying is not bad if you have a lot of things to fry. When you're living alone and want to fry ONE piece of pork loin it's not worth the hassle.

I typically find Japanese curry bland and boring compared to Thai and Indian curry which are much more aromatic and fresh. However, if you judge japanese kare on its own merits and not compare it to other curry, it's a nice comfort food.
 I enjoyed it for the first when I was in Tokyo. Did it taste much different than in the US or other when I had it in other asian countries? probably not. 
Trying it while I was there meant I was more open and willing to embrace something new.




This is Jinnan Curry , a curry joint in Shibuya serving and in-between Japanese/Indian curry twist.

My favorite picture from of Lake Ashi. Looking at this bring back how I felt that say. Alone and calm, as if everything that was wrong with the world didn't exist.




Less reminiscing and more food talk!


With the help of Vermont curry roux, I made Japanese curry at home for the first time.


Add caption
I say my tonkatsu came our pretty decent since I used one of those 5 dollars sunny side up egg pans. The smaller the pan, the less oil you'll need.



I kept it simple for my first time. You can really add anything . I recommend corn for sweetness and cheese for gooeyness


Recipe (Pork Cutlet) 


  • Purchase come thin slice pork loin cutlet
  • Make the flour mixture (salt , pepper, All purpose flour) *I added some Tony Creole seasoning
  • Whisk one egg
  • Set up 3 stations 
    • flour
    • egg
    • panko
  • Beat the meat with anything you can find , I just flipped my knife upside down and used the other side .  *+1 point for reducing dishes :)    
  • Salt and pepper the loin 
  • Drench in the flour mixture ---> drench in the whisked egg---> coat with panko 
  • Get the temperature of the oil to right before smoking point, if it's smoking it's too hot ( Rec:Canola)
  • Fry the loins  (protect yourself from splatters)

Recipe (Curry) 
  • Sauté half of medium size onion and 2 clove of chopped garlic in one tablespoon of butter to caramelize them. 
  • Add 2 cups of carrots and 3 medium potatoes (cut into similar size for even cooking) to the sautéed onions
  • Add 5 cups of water and cook until vegetable are tender. 
  • Add half of the curry roux that came in the boxes . For Vermont curry it was 6 cubes.
  • Incorporate the roux, the curry will thicken . Here is where you can add more water or leave it depending on the consistency you prefer)
  • I also added some more chill powder and a pinch of sugar to balance out the flavor of the curry
Then you serve it in pretty plate and destroy it. Don't let my picture fool you. I add a lot of curry gravy to it after I took the picture. 







Comments

Popular Posts